Tuesday, May 30, 2006

OHSS update - 10dp5dt

Nothing dramatic has happened and other than the fact that my skin is peeling off like a snake, there are no significant worsening symptoms. I am eating Tylenol out of the candy dish now and almost don't need anything to drink them back with which is actually good because the nurse told me I am drinking too much. Can you believe that?? I am so parched and she is telling me to bring down my fluid intake to a maximum of 6 cups per day. The other bad news is my conversation with the nurse:

Sarah : "So I understand that each patient is different, but what is the range of how long this takes to heal?"
Nurse: "Well, it can take anywhere from a week to over a month"
Sarah: "OVER A MONTH!!!!!!!...You have got to be joking."
Nurse: "No, I'm not joking"
Sarah: "So what am I supposed to do that whole time?"
Nurse: "Rest and stay off your feet as much as possible"
Sarah: "Does that mean, like, bedrest?"
Nurse: "Well, let's just say doing the dishes would be too much."

This is crazy. I knew that OHSS was a possibility and a risk of doing IVF, but I kind of thought that when they say bedrest it meant that you lay flat for most of the day, but then take a break to go out for lunch or to the store or something. Apparently not!

So flat I am, but still trying to do a bit of work. This is the busiest time of my year and I had postponed a lot of things knowing that I would be going back to work yesterday. Now it looks like I am off for at least another week if not longer. There are a few things that I will just have to do when I can and in between throwing up and measuring my pee and everything else will be up to my colleagues to handle.

If you have a chance to drop by Sunnie or Thalia, they could really use some words of encouragement right now.

7 comments:

MoMo said...

Sorry to hear you are going thru all this..but I second the doctor...stay off your feet! Hope you feel better soon! Hugs!

soralis said...

Sorry to hear you are still feeling so bad. Sending you a big hug.

Pamplemousse said...

Please listen to your doc's advice as it is spot on. Get these feet up. You don't necessarily have to lie flat in bed...it can be flat on the sofa too!

Anonymous said...

Like I said in a previous comment, I didn't have symptoms quite as strong as yours. However, when I went in last week for my 6 week ultrasound, my ovaries were STILL huge. They said it should start going away in the next couple weeks. The good news is, the pain started going away a few weeks ago and is now just an occasional issue for me.

I hope you are able to get some relief from the pain very soon!!

Alli and Frankie said...

Oh my gosh - hopefully there is something good on tv! I'll be thinking of you!

Rest up!

Lut C. said...

Bedrest sounds very tiresome. Hang in there.

Angie said...

Hope you get feeling VERY, VERY SOON!!!