Monday, May 15, 2006

A baker's dozen

Egg retrieval was this morning at 8am, as far as I can tell, things went fairly well. The only drama was that the girl putting the IV in was shaking so badly that she went right through the vein and then someone else had to do it.

It was more painful than I thought it would be, but I guess it is one of those things that you just bite down hard and bear it for 10 minutes. Being able to watch the follicles be drained on the ultrasound was pretty cool and acted as a fantastic distraction. The doctor was funny and made jokes about each one being worth at least a rose, to which one of the nurses replied, "go for jewelry!" so the feeling in the room was very lighthearted. I just tried to focus on breathing.

Ten long minutes later, we were done and I could relax my muscles and breath. Recovery was about 30 minutes and then my husband drove me home where I spent the rest of the day laying down flat. I missed taking the Tylenol at one point because I was sleeping...big mistake. The searing pain that shot through my netherreigions was enough to make me shout out. I gobbled down two (or three, can't remember) and then as timing would have it, my mom called. What a welcome distraction!

The Tylenol kicked in and now I am not going to tempt fate again and am on a strict 3 hour regimen.

Looking forward to the new experience of Prometrium suppositories. Mmm. Peanut oil. Sounds very sexy.

The good news, they got 9 mature eggs out of thirteen eggs retrieved. Tomorrow morning we will get the report about how many of them fertilized after the ICSI today. Please send some positive vibes over this way for those little eggs!! I really don't want to have to go through this again, so I am hoping for good numbers over the next few days.

I'm sure I'll post again tomorrow to let you know the results.

***Breaking News Update!***
The clinic just called and the numbers have changed.
There were 14 eggs in total.
12 were mature and were injected.
12 fertilized.
They froze 4 this morning.

I promised myself that I could celebrate each small victory along the way because things that are beautiful one day, may not be the same the next. Thanks everyone for sending through such good, positive thoughts. It obviously worked!

14 comments:

Meg said...

Sarah - they knock us out in australia too, thank God... egg retreival is a scary enough thought anyway! I hope your eggies fertilise good and proper. Looking forward to hearing an update. Take care! Meg x

MoMo said...

Sarah!!I've been waiting for an an update!! Nine sounds fantastic! And as Sube said I can't believe you were awake during the procedure! Hoping that you get great fertilization report! Thinking of you! Hugs!

DD said...

Before I forget...positive vibes as requested for the embryos from me to you.

But the reason I was worried I might forget is you were awake?! And they only gave you tylenol? Oh I'm thinking it's going to be roses AND jewelry!

x said...

I hope you get great news today. I was awake for my ER too, I wish they would just make it standard to knock us out.
Best of luck! Don't miss a T-3, they are lifesavers!

Anonymous said...

You were awake? Congrats on surviving that, and congrats on your 9! My fingers are crossed for a great fertilization report.

Barely Sane said...

Sarah - congrats on the great harvest! Sending tons of positive vibes for the fert report!
Since we're both in the same area, you know I was awake too. But for my 2nd ER, they gave me too much of the meds and I was so drunk I almost fell off the table!! I love seeing the u/s of the whole thing - like you said, a nice distraction.

Fingers crossed!!!

Anonymous said...

Super! I am so happy for you and your hubbie. I'm hoping for all of your embryos to keep on developing strongly .

Hope you're feeling better!

Alli and Frankie said...

Oh my gosh, that is fantastic news. Congratulations on all of your eggs and I am sending prayers of success!!

soralis said...

Sounds wonderful!!! Good luck with your transfer!

Take care and good luck

Anonymous said...

Awesome results! Another step down...fingers crossed!

Courtney said...

Congrats those are fabulous numbers!!!! I will keep everything crossed that things keep progressing well! Good Luck!

seattlegal said...

congrats on the number of eggs - that's great! Good luck!!!

Angie said...

Great number! Get lots of rest and grow embies, grow!

MoMo said...

Congratulations about the 12 fertilized eggs and 4 frozen. That is fantastic! Keep us posted on when transfer will be!