We told our families about doing IVF a few weeks ago. Mostly, we hadn't discussed it before because they live in another city and it is just one of those things that is hard to do on the phone. We weren't worried at all about what their reaction would be. Our families don't have any particular bent that would cause them to disagree with what we are doing. On the other hand, it is just one of those things that I couldn't seem to bring up with them. It is like telling your parents that you have sex. Or worse, them telling you that they have sex. It's weird.
My husband told his family, and they told him that they wished us the best and hope that all goes well. They are very private people who remain distant, and despite knowing them for 17 years, I sense that I will never enter into the inner circle of their family. I've come to terms with it, and I don't generally worry any more that my relationship with them lacks those warm fuzzy Kodak moments.
When I told my mom, of course I burst into tears and she gave me a big hug without saying a word, which is a good thing (occasionally she says the most insensitive things, although I don't believe that she does it with malice.) So in this case, she felt it was best not to say anything at all which was fine with me. She listened to me drone on about the process and also wished us luck and told me that she would be thinking of us.
Back at home, the injections and medications have begun, and while the few close friends that we have told continually leave thoughtful messages to see how I am doing, I haven't had one call from my family. My husband came home yesterday and said, "My mom called me at work to see how you are doing." So what is wrong with that? Well, is there something wrong with our home phone line that would prevent her call to ME from coming through?
Now, that family is not known for their stellar communication skills (my husband's words), so I don't know why it should bother me. It does.
Even worse than that, my mother and sister haven't called me since I started. I consider myself to be close with both of them, so this feels very strange. For the past 15 years, I have talked to my mom every Sunday on the phone, but at the time when I need her the most, she avoids me. Wow, that hurt.
Well, she finally called yesterday. It had been a bad day. Twice I blew up over ridiculously inconsequential incidents, and actually ended up fleeing in tears to the bedroom where I proceeded to fall asleep for 2 hours. I guess I should be happy that my husband hasn't left me yet; I would have left me by now.
After I awoke, feeling much less like the hormonal terror that I did earlier, my mom called to see how I was doing. She didn't explain why she hadn't called before, but I got the sense that she just didn't know what to say. Surprisingly, she has actually done some research online and has become familiar with some of what we are going through. So I guess that she read somewhere that it is better to call just to say something! She asked me some questions and was sincerely interested and worried. I made a point of letting her know how comforting it has been that my friends are calling me regularly.
I'm very appreciative of this whole blogging community and admire the support that abounds through the comments, but I have to say that it was a relief to talk to my mom.
One final note...I'm so glad that we are doing this before swimsuit season. Otherwise I would have the stress of finding a cute two-piece bikini that matches the mottled bruises on my increasingly bloating midsection. Ugh.
Monday, May 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I think the age of the parents has a huge impact on how they process this kind of news. 74 is the youngest in our two sets of parents. No internet and nothing more than a GED for the younger (mine) and his (in their 80's) just can't grasp the idea.
You'll be happy at the minimum that you told them and that they show even the littlest interest as ours never did. Blogging gives you the understanding and support, but nothing is better than having that warm body to give you a hug when you need it the most.
I am glad your mom called, I think it is sometimes very hard for people to know what to say. Wish you all the best.
Sorry your mom doesn't seem to 'get it' just yet. Mine didn't either... until IVF #4 when I pulled out all the needles and 'shot up' infront of her. THEN she got it big time!
Family is weird. But when push comes to shove, you can always count on them. In the meantime, us bloggers stick together!!
Hugs
I'm sorry that you are not getting a lot of support from your parents. I can actually relate to you, my parents are the same. I am almost done with stims and I have yet to hear from them. Hang in there...hopefully all they need is time. Hugs!
I'm glad you and mom were able to talk...but I'm sorry about the bruises! My bruises and marks have disappeared finally, but every so often I find a sore spot on my backside from where I injected the progesterone...mind you, it's been 11 months with this spot!
I am sorry that you aren't getting the support that you need from your family. I know what you mean. My family is supportive to a point, but they keep themselves a safe distance. Try to hang in there!
Support from any quarter is fantastic. Glad your mom gave you the hug you needed.
Sarah - Don't be too hard on yourself, eh? Thinking of you x
I'm glad that your mum figured it out eventually. Mine I have to say has been pretty good, although she sometimes says the most tactless things, I know she does care. I hope yours now keeps calling.
Post a Comment