Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Back on the rollercoaster

I don't know how my husband will ever recover from today's drama. Women are used to drama and I think that we bounce back easier.

Last night there were serious AF cramps in addition to pain. The Tylenol helped with the pain, but not the cramping.

Around noon today, I ventured to the bathroom to measure another cup of pee. Leaned over to put the cup into the sink, grabbed the paper to wipe, and low and behold....BRIGHT RED!!

I lost my breath for a moment before I went completely hysterical. Had it been spotting, you know, a bit brownish pre-AF spotting, I wouldn't have freaked, but it was really red like AF was here in full force. Then the cramping and back aches all seemed to flood over me at once. I phoned my husband, unable to speak because I was crying so hard. He said he would leave work immediately to come home.

When he got here, he immediately phoned the clinic and talked to the nurse. She obviously sensed how upset we were and recommended that we go right away for the blood test and then they could call us back later this afternoon. If it was my period, then the cycle hadn't worked, if I am pregnant, they'd be more concerned about the bleeding. Now, remember, we've already done two pee sticks and know that for at least 24 hours I was pregnant.

At that point I was less hysterical, but still upset. We went to the lab where they tested for pregnancy and OHSS. Then we waited.

At first, my husband was trying hard to cheer me up and was saying anything possible to make me feel better, but after a while, it started to hit him and then he became sullen and sad too. He is the eternal optimist, so when he is sad about something, then there is something to be sad about.

Finally, after a gruelling 4 hours, the nurse calls us back and he answers the phone. She is talking to him and he is listening. Then there is a very very tiny glint in his eye and he smiled; not huge mind you, but he smiled and passed me the phone.

Turns out the beta was 478, so at this moment the IVF appears to have worked. She said that the cramping could be pg symptoms or the ovaries still recovering. The blood could be a number of things as well. If there were two, one could be fizzling out, or it could be blood from something entirely unrelated (like what?...a paper cut?)

When I hung up the phone my husband was happy, of course, but also very annoyed at the scare and actually left to go play soccer. I think that guys just don't get it. After going through all of this, seeing bright red blood when wiping, equates to disaster. He doesn't understand what I was so worried about and annoyingly told me not to scare him like that.

So, why am I not super happy? This is the result that we wanted yet, I feel like I am balancing on the edge of a cliff and just as I was starting to fall off, I was pulled back and am now back to balancing on my heels.

Funny, how people who don't deal with IF would have gotten this same news and would probably be, at this moment, celebrating with their partners. The excitement and anticipation of a nice round belly and a future with kids. Yet, somehow I feel robbed. Here I am with the news that we all wait for, any many people never get, and I am not ecstatic. I just feel tired from crying all day thinking that it was all over. I'm still worried about what will happen.

Hopefully tomorrow will be much less dramatic!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it completely suck that when we get news like that it doesn't seem like a victory? I felt similarly when I had my ultrasound while in the midst of the stomach flu.

I am very sorry you had to endure the trauma today, but I am happy for you and your official positive result! Take care of yourself.

Courtney said...

((hugs)) to you ... when I read about your breath catching I was almost with you. I know that feeling. I am happy you had such a wonderfully high beta for so early. That in itself is a good thing. I am sorry for the drama that accompanied it though.

I am sending you sticky vibes that your little one(s) hold on tight to momma!

soralis said...

Sorry to hear you can't enjoy the good news just yet. I am hoping that today is the end of the red stuff for you.

Take care and here is to doubling!

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I am so excited that you got a good beta, but I am sad that you are bleeding. It must be so terrifying. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Meg said...

Oh my God, Sarah. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Pamplemousse said...

I was reading stats for IVF and even in singleton pregnancies, 33% will have bleeding at some point early on. For twins and triplets, the % was even higher. Try to rest and stay calm. I know it is difficult but it is the best thing for you right now.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I hope that the bleeding sods off fast and you can get down to the business of breathing again.....!!!!

Anonymous said...

I was holding my breath while I read this post...! Congrats! I can only imagine how you must feel. During this whole IVF process, I would think "I'm not going to produce any eggs" then I did, then instead of being happy about that, I feared "nothing will fertilize"... it's an ongoing battle with myself. I think all of us dealing with IF can relate. Thank goodness we have each other to empathize with.

Sending many happy hugs your way!

MoMo said...

Congrats about the beta and I hope the bleeding stops soon. I know it is hard to enjoy this at this time, just try to rest up and take care of yourself! Hugs!

Alli and Frankie said...

Oh my gosh, I totally understand. The reluctance to celebrate is in the interest of self preservation should things go awry. I know that feeling of seeing the toilet paper and immediately feeling like you are being sucked down a drain. Men cannot understand that.

I'm so happy for your beta number! It must have been at least a little bit of a relief.

And LOL at the paper cut comment!! Something else entirely?! Whaaa??

x said...

Congratulations! You deserve to enjoy it. I hope your next beta is sky high.

DD said...

That's some scary stuff and I hope that the very respectable beta will give you some comfort as you watch some soaps and Judge Judy for a day or two. When does "relax" stop being a dirty word?

Thalia said...

Sarah it sounds very similar to what happened to me (don't let that freak you out!). My bleeding was red, but it only lasted 1/2 a day at that level, then it tailed off to brown, then petered out after 3 days. It could be any of the things you mentioned. Keep your chin up, you've got a good strong beta. Get yourself a repeat test in a couple of days, that should help.

I understand why you don't feel great, though. I felt great when I saw the peestick, then the bleeding totally took away the joy, which I only really recovered at the second beta a few days later. Give yourself time, it's been a long hard road.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sarah, it sucks when you know you *should* be happy, but the bleeding scares the #$%^ out of you.

Yes, sometimes, men just don't get it. That's what we're here for!

Anyway, I hope that the next few weeks are full of the GOOD kind of drama... congratulations!

Anonymous said...

wow...what a scare! i would have reacted in the same way. I often wonder that if I ever get pg if i will actually be able to enjoy it. It sucks royally that those of us who deal with IF can't ever really celebrate the small victorys. Oh to be normal...just once.

Kate said...

Hi Sarah,
I just found you through my blog. I am so sorry you had such a scare. IF is a bumpy, rocky road and it seems like we can never catch a break. I hope you are having a much better day and get a chance to enjoy this pregnancy. I'll be reading.

Anonymous said...

The roller coaster sure does suck. I'm sorry about the bleeding, but yay for that fabulous beta!

Angie said...

Awesome news! I'm so very happy for you. I hope the bleeding subsides soon. Wishing you the very best!

Anonymous said...

Your beta numbers are great. Sometimes when you go through so much to get there it is weird to suddenly switch gears into joy. I think it will come. Congrats to you!

Dawn said...

Wow, what a roller coaster ride! I'm very happy you got such a great beta number, though. I hope the rest of your pg is peaceful. GL

Maya said...

What a rollercoaster. I can't imagine how terrified you were. I hope that any reason for more concern goes away quickly and you can't start to breath again.

Family Ties said...

That had to be so scary. I'm sorry that you saw blood. Hang in there honey. *hug*

LiL Moo & Mee said...

I have it all crossed that things go smoothly for you.

Lut C. said...

It'll grow on you, erm, the idea that is. The baby will grow in you. :o)

Congratulations!