(OK...I know it is a picture of a freshly baked loaf of bread, but I didn't have the energy to make buns!)The transfer went smoothly, but the doctor had to talk to us before we started about the quality of the embryos. It isn't bad news necessarily, I'm just not sure that it can be qualified as jump-up-and-down good news either.
She reported that we had 2 that had made it to early blastocyst stage: one was graded 2AA the other 2BB. My understanding of 5-day transfers is that because of my age (34) and being that this is our first attempt at IVF, normally they would only transfer one blastocyst. However, because neither of them was stellar looking, we had to make the decision right there about transferring one or both.
Naturally, we'd had the discussion before and my husband was quite disappointed to learn originally that if we went to 5 days, they would likely only transfer one. He had gotten used to the idea that we might get the two-for-one deal! So when the doctor asked us, I replied, "Yes, no question, we understand the risks and will transfer both", to which my husband replies, "Are you sure you want to transfer two?" I just stared at him. We aren't supposed to be split on decisions like this, especially when he was so adamant just days before about how they should transfer two. "Yes, WE are sure." Why the last minute change of heart? Perhaps just nerves. I thought that it was women who were supposed to be indecisive.
Anyways, the doctor, looking a bit nervous asked, "Are you sure? Because once we start, we can't stop." Yes, we are sure. So in they went, a small flash of light as the embryos shot through the catheter hopefully crash landing on that cushy lining that is all ready for them. And that was that.
So now all there is to do is hope. I have tried to find more information about the grading system that they use, but have come up empty handed. Does anyone know where there might be a chart or something to decode what the 2AA and 2BB mean? I need to start obsessing about something soon and I figure research is as good as anything.
I am still off next week, although technically it is vacation. As a result I should have lots of time to start analyzing every twitch down there.
**UPDATE**
Blastocyst Grading Standards
| GOOD | 1. | Fully expanded or hatching day-five |
| ADEQUATE | 2. | Fully expanded or hatching day-six Moderate expansion day-five |
| MEDIOCRE | 3. | Moderate expansion day-six Early cavitation day-five |
| POOR | 4. | Early cavitation day-six Morula day-five (?six) |
- Add to this two alphabetic scores to grade i.e.,
1st). Inner Cell Mass
2nd). Trophectoderm
| GOOD | A. | high cell number with good cell/cell adhesion |
| MEDIOCRE | B. | lower cell number with poorer cell/cell attachment |
| POOR | C. | no cells apparent (ICM) sparse granular (degenerate?) cells (trophectoderm) |
9 comments:
As a recent graduate of the 2ww, may I be the first to wish you much luck!!
Congrats on your transfer! May the 2ww fly by for you. I too like the 2 for 1 deal that is possible.
Hugs ... good luck
sticky vibes!
Good luck can't wait to hear more good news!
First off - you can bake bread...wow.
Second - I think transferring 2 was a wonderful thing. Forget about the grading system! You will drive yourself insane. Concentrate on taking care of you...and let hubby do the cooking, cleaning and bread baking!
Woo hoo for buns in the oven! Good luck surviving the 2ww.
Just wanted to pop over and say that I am rooting for ya! That bread looks delicious and I'm hoping your two little buns are doing well. Here's wishing a speedy two weeks and minimal overanalyzing craziness:)
Thanks for your encouragement on my blog:) Greatly appreciated!
Sounds like at least one of those blastocysts was in really good shape. Hoping that you've got some good distractions planned for the next 9 days!
I am glad to hear the transfer went well. I second Ann Marie, forget about the grading system..you will drive youself crazy!! Some people transfer the most perfect embryo w/no sucess! Good luck with the 2ww..I hope it flys by!
thanks for the embie chart. useful to me!
Post a Comment