Saturday, May 27, 2006

Whoa Nellie! Whose belly is that? - 7dp5dt

I woke up a record 4 times last night. Usually I wake up once, go pee, then lay in bed for hours while I can't get back to sleep. Lately, the only way that I am assured at least 7 hours is to down a T3 right before bedtime. Well, last night I was suffering from an intensely sore tooth (right-before-the-root-canal-type-of-pain), so I actually took a T3 and hoped that I wouldn't wake up in the middle of the night and have to go to the hospital for some emergency dental care.

Well, I did wake up a couple of hours later. No toothache, but had to pee. Off to the livingroom to drag my husband off to bed (of course, he fell asleep in front of the TV), and then to the bathroom. Only almost nothing came out.

Back to bed, fell asleep for another 2 hours. Woke up again with full-bladder feeling. Went to the bathroom. Trickle, trickle. Bladder still feels full. Hmm. Two more times this happened, in between which I had absoutely bizarre dreams.

Woke up in the morning laying on my back and when I looked down, I couldn't see my feet. Now, I think that I've mentioned in the past that my body-type is not the svelte, tiny-waisted kind. I'm not fat, but there are certainly an extra 15 pounds, especially after all this, that could probably be whittled away with some consistent exercise and better eating. Only this morning I got up and thought, praise the Lord, I'm 5-months pregnant and the last two weeks have been one of those season finale "nightmare/hallucination" scenarios.

No seriously, my abdomen is ENORMOUS! I got up and immediately ran to the bathroom because of the urgent need to do something other than pee. Oh my, something is not right. After a few bathroom visits, I started to waddle around the house, got dressed, was starting to feel much better. Went for a drive with my husband to do some errands and started to feel nauseous in the car. Didn't throw up until we got into the mall bathroom. And again, trickle, trickle, but not a real good pee.

We came home and I read through all our IVF materials again, vaguely recalling something about Over Hyper....something something. So OHSS, I discover includes the following symptoms:
-bloated full feeling
-distended abdomen
-nausea
-diarrhea
-clothes become very tight

The the list continues on the other side:
-little or no urine
-severe abdomen distention
-lower abdominal pain

Check, check and check. So I phone the clinic and leave a message on their emergency number and a nurse finally called me back. According to her, the symptoms sound right and the timing would be consistent, so I have to start monitoring and measuring what goes in and what comes out (Note to self: buy new measuring cup), for 24 hours and then talk to them again tomorrow. They think that I will likely go in for bloodwork on Monday...I'm thinking maybe they can sneak in an early HCG test so that I don't have to wait all bloody week!

At this point, I am not worried. Instructions are to stay off my feet entirely and try to get fluids into me which I plan to do for the next two days. Tomorrow we'll see how things have progressed. Hopefully I don't blow up into one of those parade balloons over night!

ps. today I look a bit more like this!



9 comments:

Courtney said...

I sure hope you don't turn into the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man lol When I had OHSS I drank lots of Gatorade and it seemed to help. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I hope you feel better soon. And definitely try to sneak in an early beta. Definitely.

soralis said...

I hope you feel better soon, that sure isn't fun!

Take care

Pamplemousse said...

You know that pregnancy makes OHSS symptoms worse so it is looking good for you, in my opinion. Take it easy and do not hesitate to go to the ER if you start feeling really bad.

Lut C. said...

Take good care of yourself. OHSS sounds really uncomfortable.

Maya said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and your kind words. Sorry that you are not feelng so great. Hopefully it will all be for a good reason and the whole balloon factor will actually be a symbol of a celebration. We'll all be pulling for you.

Barely Sane said...

oohhh...as much as I feel bad for you with all the bloating, Pamplemousse hit the nail on the head - PREGNANCY MAKES OHSS WORSE!!
So, I will try try try to stay calm BUT, my excitement level just went thru the roof!!

Good luck! Fingers Crossed! Come on Embies!

YouGuysKnow said...

yikes. please keep us updated with details. if all goes well, i start first injections for IVF tomorrow AM and the idea of OHSS makes me very nervous. so if you do have it, please post about how you handle it. :) i have heard of women drinking loads of Gatorade (as courtney mentions at top)

Thalia said...

Sounds like OHSS to me. Which is good news (sort of) with this timing since it gets worse if you are pregnant. Of course it's also quite serious so I hope the clinic takes you seriously and starts to monitor you properly. HOping that you are pregnant but that this is just a mild case of OHSS.