Wednesday, May 03, 2006

T.G.F.H

Thank. Goodness. For. Husbands

Not only are they extremely useful when trying to reach items in high-up cupboards (my hubby is 6'6) and for fixing those nasty plumbing problems, but they also come in handy when one has to inject drugs twice daily!

As you know, there was some anxiety on my part about the idea of these injections. I am strong. I knew that I would survive, but I just didn't like the idea of jabbing my midsection with sharp objects.

Last night I was so anxious that I actually burst out into tears because I suddenly couldn't remember how far we were supposed to pull up the plunger on the syringe. My husband aptly concluded that I wasn't actually upset about the math of the medicine, but rather about the actual idea of stabbing myself. In order to alleviate my panic, he decided that we would do a test run. He approached with the needle and then held up as if he were about to inject it when I realized that it was the 1.5" needle! Some kind of noise escaped from me and then he laughed. Of course, he was joking. Funny. He replaced it with the proper one and then stuck it carefully in my middle.

Of course, it was fine. There was no searing pain. My legs didn't start shaking from the agony. It felt like a mosquito. Just the nurse said it would.

So this morning, at 6am (he works early) we did the first injection and everything went splendidly. A little disappointing actually. No drama.

Next step: self-injection! Another day... or maybe not.

13 comments:

x said...

I only did one myself. I didn't think I could but I did. Other than that, it was the hubbie's job - they have to be involved on way or the other!

DD said...

I remember staring at my frozen form in the mirror, cheeks exposed w/PIO needle hovering...for 5 minutes before bursting into tears and beggin hubby to do it instead, which he did. It helped to watch in the mirror as it gives you a sense of detachment when you have to do it yourself.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your husband was there to jab ya. Self injecting isn't bad at all if you need to do it at some point. Totally doable.

Barely Sane said...

Congrats at getting the first shot under way!
I did most of my shots myself but I prefered to let DH do the Repronex because I found the syringe akward. The Puregon pen was a breeze tho!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

We will be starting injections next month... so this advice is helpful. The needle thing is something both my husband and I are afraid of, but it is a "necessary evil" so I'm sure we will get over it after the fear of the first injection is over... and I agree with Jenny that it is a good way to keep the hubbie involved, since there is so much that we have to go through alone.

soralis said...

Glad to hear your hubby is helping out!

Take care and good luck

beagle said...

So glad to hear that you have a helpful hubby to help you through this!

Good Luck with your cycle!

MoMo said...

It is really nice that your DH is very willing to participate, that's great. Yay for the first injection. Let us know how you are doing. Good luck and I will be thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the first injection went well!

I won't give the official needle count, but my body has been pricked by at least one needle every day since April 1 for my IVF cycle (I'm now in 2ww). I did all of the subQ shots, but now Hubby is doing all of the Progesterone. I too HATE needles, but they really aren't as bad as I made them out to be. The ones for my belly were so short and fine that they barely hurt!

I hope you continue to see how STRONG you are to be enduring all this for your future little ones!

Thalia said...

I hate to say it, but you get used to it. After a while, it's second nature, although the PIO injections take a bit of getting used to.

Pamplemousse said...

I agree with Thalia. You do get very blase about the whole thing, in the end. Congrats on getting underway!

Angie said...

Congrats on getting started! Glad your hubby was so great!

Anonymous said...

Glad your first poke was a success. I was *really* nervous about the needles and except for the one the bully of a nurse made me do in the office, my husband did all of them. The pen was no problem and if it came down to it I could have done it myself. Only once did it hurt - no idea why. The hcg trigger was a bit more intimidating and I was really glad to have my poor nervous husband do that.