Saturday, May 06, 2006

Early bird gets the first poke

The clinic informed me that my first blood test would be this morning before 8am, but that I had to go to a different lab for the draw. So I'm awake at 7am and head over to the lab thinking that I would get there before anyone else. I arrived to find about 30 people standing around waiting in front of the door to the building. You have got to be joking! Oh well, I resign myself to the fact that this would be a long wait, and that after dutifully taking my number I could go bide my time in the coffee shop sipping a yummy latte.

An employee walks up to the front door and looks a bit panicked because she needs to get into the building and realizes that as soon as she opens the door, it is quite possible that this herd of waiting patients will stampede through the door over her and she might not actually make it into work.

Sure enough, the key goes in and everyone takes their mark. Key turns. Silence falls upon the crowd. Door opens and suddenly there is a crush of bodies pressing through the doors to dash to the elevator. Then the elevator opens and everyone makes a mad dash to be the first ones up. Somehow I managed to get pushed in the elevator by this early-morning mob. Lucky me, I wouldn't have to wait after all..

When we made it to the lab, it was actually still closed, so a line-up now forms outside the office door and down the hallway. There were a few moments when I thought that people might start to have it out about who was first in line. The door to the office opened and everyone started to pile in to grab a number. I had resigned myself to going back to my first plan of getting a coffee, and as I was standing at the counter reaching for my number, I heard the lady say that all people from my clinic should not take a number, but rather should wait in line at the counter. How fortuitous! I was first in line.

Drew a vial of blood and I was on my way! I guess I am desperate to find good luck in everything that I do even if it is just being first in line.

4 comments:

MoMo said...

Yes, you definitely had some luck on your side today! Yay! I love it when that happens. How did it go? I hope you got some good news! Thinking of you!

Angie said...

What amazingly crazy luck you have! Hope it sticks around for you!

Courtney said...

Too funny I am killing myself laughing. I have been in a similar crowd before trying to shove their Health cards at the poor receptionist that has to swipe and check everyone in. Good Luck!

Courtney

x said...

That does sound like good luck, it also sounds insane. I guess you know it's not worth getting there a half hour early to be the first at the door!