Saturday, April 22, 2006

Day 4 - Someone else's joy

Generally when I hear that yet another friend is pregnant or has just had a baby, I feel conflicted. For the first few moments following the news I have some pangs of self-pity and the big green monster pops up his head. Then after a while I resign myself to being happy for the lucky couple. Fortunately other people can pick up the slack and contribute to the continuation of the species. If it were up to me, the human race would be in big trouble. The other day was an exception.

The email came and delivered the news that a friend of a friend had just had a baby, and for the very first time since experiencing the frustration of not being able to get pregnant again, I was truly overwhelmed by happiness for them. I don't know this couple particularly well but I know that they have gone through hell and back to have this baby.

My friend has been very discreet and doesn't give a lot of details about her friend, but since I have been going through the same kind of experience, she has shared a little bit of her story. A very shortened version (which may not be entirely accurate): A few months after marrying, her husband found out that he had a debilitating muscular disease; then he had a brain tumour accompanied by surgery; then several failed IVF attempts with at least one mc; and then finally the decision to adopt and the long journey that goes with that new dream. At the same time they finally heard the good news of an impending adoption, they also found out that miraculously she was pregnant. The rollercoaster continued: while pregnant, his sister passed away, and another tumour was discovered in his brain.

The other day she delivered a beautiful baby girl, and honestly, no one in the whole world deserves it more. Never having beeing through anything even close to what they have, I don't know what it takes to get through all of that. I do know that I admire this couple immensely for their courage and strength.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life works in mysterious ways...I am glad something wonderful has happened for such deserving people.
May we all end up holding bundles of joy by next year!

soralis said...

It always makes me happy to know that good things DO happen. I always love to hear when a fellow IFer has success!

Take care

Angie said...

Hey, I just stumbled across your blog and wanted to wish you the best during this cycle!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's some story. As the others have said, it's lovely to hear miracle stories. I hope things work out for them.